Back to News

Posted on May 2021 By Georgia Edmonds

The end of free movement is almost here.

From 1 July 2021, if you’re a citizen or family member of someone who is a citizen of the European

Economic Area, the European Union or Switzerland and you want to work in the UK, you’ll need to

prove your right to work in the UK. You can do this by getting:

·         Pre-settled status via the EU Settlement Scheme, or

·         Settled Status via the EU Settlement Scheme, or

·         Getting right to work via the new UK immigration system.

·         The EU Settlement Scheme also applies to citizens of Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland.

The deadline for applications to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

To apply, you’ll normally have had to start living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

You don’t need to apply if you have:

·         Indefinite leave to enter the UK, or

·         Indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or

·         You’re a frontier worker this means you work in the UK but don’t live here, or

·         Irish citizenship – this includes dual British and Irish citizenship.

·         Exemption from immigration control – you’re a foreign diplomat posted in the UK or a member of NATO.


Read the Government’s long read or short read guidance to the EU Settlement Scheme

Government application helpline 0300 123 7379.

Government guidance available in 25 languages.

We Are Digital’ will help you if you need to apply in person or on the phone. Call 03333 445 675.