Job Description - GIS Engineer / Manager
ERSG USA are currently recruiting for a GIS Manager to support the engineering and development teams of a major offshore wind farm on the US East Coast - creating automated processes to assist with project map, exhibit and document generation for the various project phases, as well as managing the software and implementation processes, software licensing and versioning.
The GIS Manager will administer these processes whilst providing support, guidance and deliverables to the project team, stakeholders and sponsors.
- Create, develop, manage and maintain the project's GIS spatial database. This includes, specifically:
- Creating a GIS Database infrastructure and governance
- Establishing a GIS data management process
- Develop GIS data specifications & standards
- Develop a QA process for new GIS data prior to its import to the database
- Keep the GIS database up to date using with the data deliverables provided by contractors as well as with publicly available datasets including existing infrastructure, survey data, and land features for use by the project team
- Procure GIS-related software for the project
- Provide cartographic and geospatial support to the project using GIS software, involving the extensive use of 3D and 2D data sets.
- Sourcing, digitizing, editing, and updating spatial datasets from a variety of sources, including consultants, contractors performing field surveys, government and non-governmental institutions, and others.
- Develop tender and contract specifications for data deliverables.
- Carry out site finding and construction feasibility exercises using spatial analysis techniques, including the assessment of possible constraints and opportunities to determine the adequacy of potential sites.
- Preparation of high-quality drawings, maps (including using large-format plotters), diagrams and 3-D images for inclusion in engineering reports, permit applications and presentation to external stakeholders.
- Standardize and create templates and exhibits for GIS deliverables
- Procure and implement a user-friendly interface tool that allows the project team to visualize the different GIS layers, print custom maps and export map data.
- Serve as an interface between the project team and the sponsors to facilitate communication
- Use various GIS software, as well as various geographic data formats and standard data conversion and transformation methods, for geographic analysis.
- Perform data model design and development tasks.
- Understanding and implementing GIS software versions and versioning schemes.
- Writing end user documentation as necessary.
- Provide on-going support for GIS programs and functions requiring programming and analysis.
- Troubleshoot problems associated with existing GIS applications, tools and data.
- Provide training for members of the project team on the use of GIS tools.
- Additional duties as required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the GIS mapping field.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from four-year college in GIS, Surveying, Engineering, Geography, Information Systems or related degree, and at least three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with GIS software Arc View GIS 9.x / 10.0 / ArcPro / ArcGIS Server / ArcGIS Portal;
- Strong 3D drafting & design skills using AutoCAD or similar
- Experience in process automation utilizing Python, Model Builder, and other Geoprocessing techniques;
- Experience in GIS software and hardware installation/configuration;
- Knowledge of Location and Navigation Systems to integrate GPS devices and data with enterprise GIS;
- Knowledge of GIS System Architecture to maintain and support enterprise GIS infrastructure;
- Understanding of Microsoft products and/or complementing products. (Preferred)
- Competency in Analytical Problem Solving, Strong Communication, Customer/Partner Relationships, and Technology Expertise. (Preferred).
- Technical expertise obtaining, manipulating, and organizing data as well as defining, planning, and implementing analysis and processes;
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Strong technical, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational commitment and high attention to detail
- Strong level of initiative and ability to work with limited supervision
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to demonstrate strategic vision
- Ability to work successfully with a team daily in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide support on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to plan, schedule, track, and monitor project progress and budget
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to frequently perform physical tasks including standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, bending, twisting, squatting, and reaching while on project sites; ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 20 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary
Please Note: You must have the immediate right to live and work in the United States to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Applicants who do not show on their application their immigration status (for non-US citizens) may not receive feedback.
If you feel like this is the right position for you, please click "Apply" to progress your application. Otherwise, please reach out to a member of the ERSG Team via LinkedIn or our website for other current and future opportunities.