Interface Engineering Manager
Main Purpose of Job
The Lead Engineer is a critical role within the Offshore Renewables Business, focussing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects in the UK, Europe and overseas.
Belonging to the Project Services team and reporting to the discipline Department manager or the Principal Engineer, the Lead Engineer will be responsible for defining and implementing robust and cost effective engineering strategies and plans, tendering, negotiating and managing £multi-million offshore supply, installation and maintenance contracts, planning and implementing delivery sites and logistics, leading delivery phase including management of multiple offshore contractors and associated interfaces, defining company and business engineering standards and technical acceptance criteria, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied. The candidate will be managing engineering activities and decisions from a senior engineering perspective across the offshore project portfolio.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in many countries across Europe and the rest of the world. The position may require frequent travel to various locations in the UK and overseas and the individual should be capable of managing teams working at different project locations.
· Lead Engineer for an offshore renewable project, providing key engineering advice, assessment and recommendations to ensure delivery of substantial multi-contract packages within time, to budget and quality following the highest industry practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and the Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
· Provide expert advice on appropriate bid levels / programme strategies / engineering strategies / risk levels and commercial agreements relative to a multi-million pound, multi-disciplinary, multi-contract work package, to ensure that cost effective technical solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood by the project.
· Ensure that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence (whether internal or external) exists to support those business decisions.
· Provide professional leadership and direction to the Engineering team members, potentially comprising employees working within a number of countries throughout Europe and the USA, to ensure professional standards are maintained (or enhanced) and the team delivers a consistent, high quality, cost effective service to the projects.
· Resource the appropriate organisation structure to ensure delivery of the project or substantial work packages to programme and budget.
· Lead the management of the certification process with independent verification bodies (where applicable) to reduce design risk and enhance asset value.
· Ensure that health and safety and environmental requirements are fully considered and adhered to in design to ensure compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
· Lead the inspection and commissioning of appropriate aspects of offshore plant to ensure that assets are supplied and installed to the required quality and engineering standards.
· Maintain full awareness of the latest technical and commercial developments and identify and assess suitable new methodologies and technology that has the potential to reduce cost and risk, or improve safety.
· Lead the implementation of offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements for large scale offshore windfarm multi-contract work packages to ensure that packages are delivered according to specification, budget and programme without compromising safety.
· Acting as a member of the Project Management Committee, together with the Project Director and Package Leads, where key project decisions (Technical and Commercial) are considered and approved to secure investment best value.
· Ensure lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm development and construction are captured and shared across the different projects (large work packages). Establish the right mechanisms for this process and ensure that the engineering team implements them to enhance business value.
Planning and Organising
· At short notice, act upon problems and ad-hoc projects without losing focus on major ongoing projects.
Internal and External Relationships
· Accountable to the Principal Engineer.
· Coordinate support and key expertise from Discipline Leads (electrical, civil, mechanical, etc.) to ensure substantial packages and contracts technical compliance to minimise costs/ risks
· Collaborate with all Technical Services Teams to secure key knowledge inputs for application within substantial packages/ contracts to secure best practice and value from investments
· Lead and instruct Senior Engineers to deliver substantial packages for the business plan.
· Collaborate with Lead managers in O&M to ensure requirements are specified and delivered and assets are effectively transferred into operation to deliver business returns
· Collaborate with Head of Delivery for effective and efficient deployment of resources and knowledge development/ retention
· Collaborate with Heads of Contract Management for procurement of key contracts and terms/ specification to secure best value and minimise costs/ risks
· Coordinate with Head of HSQE to comply with standards and minimise legal/ regulatory risks
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.