Job Description - Transmission Project Manager (Onshore Infrastructure)
*Please Note: During these unprecedented times during the covid-19 pandemic, we are still able to recruit, hold interviews and complete any onboarding remotely. Our clients understand that processes much change and so for this position all interviews, decision and job offers will eb made remotely.*
ERSG USA are currently recruiting for a Project Manager with significant experience in transmission activities to join a world leading offshore wind company with offices across the United States and Europe.
The Project Manager for Transmission is a senior role of our clients technical and management team and will take full responsibility for managing the delivery of onshore transmission infrastructure including onshore cabling activities, landfall and the substation. This role is considered to be a critical position in terms of team interface, with strong relationships needed to be built with grid connection teams (and management), as well as the permitting team to ensure all parties are on the same page.
If we had to describe the most important responsibility for the Project Manager position, we would say it would be to competently and confidently manage a highly visible, complex, ever-changing electrical transmission project that has a high number of stakeholders, as efficiently as possible within budget and schedule.
The Project Manager will work closely with personnel throughout this major US offshore wind project to permit, design, site and construct all transmission-related elements of the project. Primary duties include overall responsibility for management of all phases and aspects of the onshore transmission project including managing the development and process for assessing the technical feasibility of the transmission circuit route options identified by the Development Team (securing land, permitting, proper siting…), managing the development and evaluation of documents for engineering, design, construction and procurement of material and support systems. The Onshore Transmission Infrastructure PM will also manage third party contractors supporting the day to day work.
As the project matures and further projects are awarded, we fully expect this position to evolve, with the Project Manager promoting themselves into more of a Package Manager position - so the immediate room for growth is already there.
This role will be based at Mayflower's office located in Boston. Should expect domestic and international travel to meet and work with stakeholders as well as occasional visits to the corporate offices of our client, whether in the UAS or Europe/
- Responsible for producing the technical specification to deliver the onshore transmission infrastructure
- Support Development Team on key technical considerations for transmission line routing (including the cable landfall) and onshore substation siting, including technical cost/benefit analysis of proposed routes.
- Prepare the technical scope and review technical offers received from vendors to execute the onshore substation and onshore transmission line design/construction to support EPC contracting.
- Manages the vendors for the design of the onshore cable infrastructure and substation. Ensures work is completed in compliance with the job specifications for all other onshore scopes, including transmission line design. Reviews/approve vendors timesheets and/or invoices and ensure compensation is made in a timely manner.
- Manages the monthly maintenance and reporting of onshore project scope, budgets and schedules. Coordinates the development of a detailed project budget and cash flow for the onshore transmission project.
- Manages execution of the onshore project plan and project change control management process.
- Participates in the required onshore regulatory siting, permit filings and other regulatory filings.
- Support the Technical Director and Development Director providing necessary input to execute the onshore stakeholder management activities.
- Support Grid Connection Manager as needed to provide technical details related to transmission queue studies and negotiation with ISO-NE.
- Plans the development of required energization plans and operating instructions in coordination with the Grid Connection Manager.
- Plans the scheduling of the long-term outage plan project submittals in coordination with the Grid Connection Manager.
- Manage EPC contracts to execute the onshore transmission once awarded.
- The role is expected to evolve once the EPC contracts are executed. The Onshore Transmission PM will manage a sub-team of 3-5 discipline engineers and QHSE representatives to support delivery of above consulting engineers and ultimately EPC contracts.
- Provide constructive feedback to other members of the Project team.
- Ensures that all aspects of the onshore transmission project are documented and completed in accordance with company policies and all regulations and laws.
- Reporting to the Technical Director for this Project, and for the company.
- Directly accountable for $100's of millions of contracts.
- Approximately 3 indirect reports with the scope to change this when needed.
- Significant travel expected within the New England area, with annual travels to training and workshops in Europe also available.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must have general Health & Safety knowledge, preferable with Quality also.
- Ideally 8-10+ years' experience within project or site management, specifically within electrical transmission projects (for similar companies such as Eversource, National Grid etc).
- On/Offshore Wind experience is a huge advantage but not essential, we appreciate this is still an emerging market.
- Local knowledge of New England or local state ISO's is again an advantage but not essential.
- Bachelors Degree or higher in electrical engineering, civil engineering or a relevant discipline.
- Local or commutable to Boston (we can accept relocating candidates but an allowance or package is not provided).
- Some project management qualification/education.
- Excellent written and oral interaction and/or communication skills.
- A proven ability to communicate and work well with others - including stake/share holders, decision-makers and the media/press.
- Collaborative and communicative abilities with a strong desire to work in a customer-centric environment.
- A proven leader.
- Has an ability to take the initiative if/when required.
- Able and enjoys working under tight deadlines and in a pressurized workspace.
If you feel this is the right person for you, we would love to hear from you!
Please click "apply" on one of our job postings either via the ERSG website or a secondary job board. Otherwise, you can reach the team directly at [email protected]