Solutions Architect - Connectivity
Remote - Hybrid Travel
The role plays a leading part in the development of a secure connectivity model and series of solutions to support the organisation's growth. Digital connectivity has been established for many regular use cases. This project focuses on remaining outlier use cases for enduring applications and devices. The project involves defining strategy, patterns, and solutions to meet requirements, specifically concerning:
- Security Edge (Zero Trust Network Access, RBI)
- Direct Internet Access for legacy applications and services
- Connectivity options for remote sites such as bonded SIM and LEO
- Network isolation of obsolete systems
- Firewall optimisation and rationalisation
- Zero Trust Architectures
The solution will target cloud native and follow best practice security principles.
This is a large project with multiple streams, so a proven track record of delivery is essential. A good knowledge of the utilities sector and a track record of Security Architecture and Infrastructure Architecture elements would be advantageous.
Candidates should have experience of:
- Firewall configuration and deployment
- Microsegmentation (For example, VMWare NSX)
- Containerisation for risk reduction
- Risk reduction of obsolete systems
Experience of the following would be beneficial:
- Network isolation/segmentation (cloud and on-prem)
- PKI/certificates for users and devices
- User and machine authentication
- Conditional access and access control policies
- LAN, WAN and Wireless technologies
The role will require excellent stakeholder management, analytical and technical skills. Also, by collaborating with the project management team, Solution Architects mitigate the risks of product misalignment with stakeholder requirements and ensure that the solution fits the defined purpose.
Candidates will require a minimum of five years of relevant (or equivalent) of hands-on Solution or Infrastructure Architecture design and implementation experience.
The ability to manage detail, communicate well, negotiate effectively and be highly organised are essential skills for this role.
There is a requirement to understand the As-Is and be able to provide a clear vision of the To-Be through clear written, presentation and verbal communication.
The role will report into Solution Architecture, but day-to-day work assignments will be the responsibility of the Group IT Senior Business Partner.
- Delivers high-level solution models and solution architectures in line with business requirements, organisation and industry standards
- Ensures compliance of all high-level solution models and solution architectures to the Target Architecture, roadmaps, architecture principles and standards
- Assesses the impact of business change requests on the existing architecture and support the prioritisation of these changes
- Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring adherence to Architecture and Design standards and the Target Architecture
- Works with the project stakeholders to understand the business requirements so that recommended solution options provide the best fit against requirements and budget
- Creates solution options and solution architectures, ensuring any deviations to the standards are handled through the Architecture Governance process
- Be accountable for the viability of proposed solutions and provides direction, advice and guidance on the appropriate approach to the solution throughout the project
- Performs the design authority role on projects ensuring that the detailed designs and solutions delivered align to the solution architecture, managing and resolving any design issues as they arise
- Manages activities that take place during solution ideation, solution design, and solution implementation.
- Communicates the architecture to the stakeholders and collaborates and coordinates with existing Infrastructure Architects in the formalization and adoption of IT standards and procedures.
- Champions a structured approach to business application solutions.
- Assures solutions not only are a fit for the specific purpose but also closely align with the standards guidelines of technology solutions.
- Influences changes to standards when necessary.
- Assists Infrastructure Architecture team on solutions management and timing of financial spend for application solutions.
- Supports the architectural aspects of all application projects in peer IT portfolios.
- Directs the identification and recommendation of appropriate solutions, upgrades, replacements, or decommissioning options incorporating business and technology productivity, usability, and ownership.
- Develops and executes solutions which further reduce the percentage of time spent on reactive work.
- Provides analysis of security protection technologies as necessary.
Technical skillset and Experience:
High level of proficiency with general toolsets including Excel (Power Queries, Pivot), Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Teams
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new or existing technologies
- Strong communication skills, capable of explaining complex technical problems in a simple, structured and compelling way to business stakeholders
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under indirect supervision
- Broad understanding of information technology topics
- Effective interpersonal skills and collaborative management style to include teamwork and team building ability
- Comfortable with ambiguity and time spent outside of comfort zone acquiring new skills
- Flexible in a fast-paced dynamic environment with shifting roles and responsibilities
- Technically creative and open-minded
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.