Role: Principal Electrical Engineer - HV
Duration: 12 months
Location: Fully remote (EU citizens only)
Start Date: ASAP
The Principal Electrical Engineer - HV Cables role will be reporting to the Power Sector director and will be responsible for ensuring the quality and consistency of the teams output in the production and control of drawings and technical documents. You will also assist with business development and during the bid process in order to secure further work.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
The candidate must have experience in the production of all designs, calculations, reports & drawings associated with the new or modification on projects from 11kV - 400kV covering HV cabling. This will cover the production of bonding line diagrams, cable rating calculations, induced voltage calculations, short circuit force calculations, thermo-mechanical thrust calculations, pulling tension calculations, production of material specification lists.
Technical skills and experience
- Guiding junior and other engineers in technical tasks
- Preparation, checking and/or approval of feasibility studies, outline and detailed design technical reports and other written documents.
- Design, checking and approval of detail allocation and construction design drawings.
- Production and approval of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Management of teams of engineers and external suppliers.
- Delivery of work to programme, budget and specification.
- The candidate shall be proficient in delivering project cable system design requirements, including but not limited to:
- Current ratings (IEC60287)
- Forced ventilation design for cable tunnels
- Impressed voltage calculations
- Emergency, Cyclic & Short term overload ratings
- Cable crossing ratings
- Producing Bonding diagrams
- Producing Material Schedules & Technical specifications
- Thermo-mechanical design calculation
- Effective thermal resistivity calculations
- Induced voltage calculations
- Cable pulling tension calculations
- Short circuit current rating and electromagnetic force calculations
- Producing Joint bay, trench, CSE, cable routing designs (concept & detailed)
- SVL (Sheath Voltage Limiter) sizing
- EMF plots
- Take part in Design & HAZID (hazards in design) reviews as appropriate
- The adherence to and control of documents and drawings in accordance with my clients management procedures.
- Design input/output within the designated risk management process.
- Development of team specific standards to ensure the consistency of the output.
- Development of the team CAD technicians.
- Accept ownership of work to be done (i.e. being required to undertake specific actions within an agreed job boundary, the execution of a delegated task, activity or process).
- Providing programme updates to the Lead Engineers for the duration of the project life.
- Highlighting any quality and delivery risks.
- Provide a technical interface with 3rd parties.
- Understanding of IEC standards.
- Experience in software packages such as MathCAD, CYMCAP, COMSOL, ETAP, DigSilent, ERACS, etc.
- Experience in guiding CAD technician working in packages such as Microstation, Revit, AutoCAD, etc.
- Be proficient with associated technical specifications from Distribution Network Operators (DNO) and Transmission Network Operators (TNO).
- Good computer and report writing skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team.
- Good attitude to obtaining new skills and capable at transferring existing skills to overcome new challenges.
- Must be competent at creating and laying out quality drawings that contractors, suppliers and fabricators can understand.
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.