Senior Highway Exterior Lighting and Electrical Design Engineer
Hybrid working - home, site & office.
Purpose of the job
Responsible for the Health and Safety, electrical compliance, effective project management and development of the Highway Electrical Asset lighting and electrical design. To promote, plan, organise, manage, record and deliver on Highway Electrical Asset and associated budgets and projects to deliver service delivery targets and statutory requirements. To undertake performance management reviews of reporting officers to ensure development and progression of the team.
Role specific outcomes/accountabilities
1. To ensure the HEA work is designed in accordance with current Health and Safety legislation, achieve compliance with CDM regulations and maintain safe systems of working.
2. Oversee the preparation, delivery and reporting of the Authority's commitments for all lighting and electrical design for internal and external stakeholders in accordance with the contract terms and specification and allocated budget.
3. Lead on the approval, development and support the delivery of new technology including smart cities, EV charging new industry innovations and BCC citywide HEA to ensure compliance with policies and legislation.
4. Advising and drafting for approval the process and technical details for BCC Lighting Design Policy.
5. Oversee the continued compliance of the Highway Electrical Asset Team with the training matrix in accordance with National Highway Sector Scheme 8 to ensure electrical competence of all relevant officers.
6. Oversee the development and production of electrical and lighting design services for external and internal stakeholders in accordance with service level agreements.
7. Attend and keep abreast of trade and governing body updates and innovations to enable BCC to consider the most efficient and effective lighting solutions
8. Oversee, the inputting of data into the Authority's Asset Management System for the adoption of new schemes including Section 38, Section 106, Section 278, and any other authority owned electrically powered assets.
9. Develop, shape and monitor the HEAT contract and policies in line with corporate strategy, current legislation and best industry practice by working closely with the HEAT and senior management team. To attend contract monitoring meetings and ensure reporting of contract KPI's.
10. To respond to queries and complaints relating to the positioning of Highway Electrical Assets, light intrusion, obstruction, or events that require the monitoring or measuring of light levels on site.
11. Required to work closely with other Team Principals to ensure the sharing of skills and knowledge, cross team working dependant on workload to provide team resilience.
12. Must be able to communicate at all levels and offer advice to MP's, Elected Members, senior management and external stakeholders.
· You will be required on occasions to work outside of normal working hours, to include evenings, nights and weekends to meet the service requirement.
· Please note a full driving license is required for this role.
· Must be competent and trained in electrical and lighting designs, CAD and Cable designs, familiar and proficient with Lighting Reality and AutoCAD )
This job description sets out the key outcomes required. It does not specify in detail the activities required to achieve these outcomes.
A. So far as is reasonably practicable , the post holder must ensure that safe working practices are adopted by employees and in premises/work areas for which the post holder is responsible to maintain a safe working environment for employees and service users. These are defined in the Corporate Health, Safety and Welfare Policy, departmental policies and codes of practice.
B. Work in compliance with the Codes of Conduct, Regulations and policies of the City Council.
C. To model and promote good equalities practice and value diversity across the service.
D. Ensure that output and quality of work is of a high standard and complies with current legislation / standards.
E. Ensure that all mandatory training is undertaken as required. For example - Bristol City Council's Induction, Health and Safety, Equalities, Safeguarding Children and Safeguarding Adults. Please note - this is not a comprehensive list.
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.