SENIOR PRINCIPAL PROCESS SAFETY ENGINEER
Job Description and Qualifications
Our client, a world-leading Industrial Gases company, has an immediate opening for a Principal/Senior Principal Process Safety Engineer.
The successful candidate will be a member of a growing EMEA Engineering Process Safety team with direct responsibilities for Process Safety activities EMEA region including Fire Protection scope definition and specification activities. The Process Safety team's mission is to "Develop process safety standard, tools, programs, training and work processes and help in implementing them on a global basis to comply with corporate process safety risk criteria and policies."
The Process Safety Engineer will use regional and local regulatory process safety, fire protection, and security related standards/policies and will implement them working closely with the engineering, operations, and commercial teams.
The job activities will focus on air separation units, hydrogen production units, ammonia synthesis and cracking units, carbon capture and renewable energy sources.
During the engineering and execution phase of a project, the Process Safety Engineer will work as part of the project team providing appropriate deliverables, leadership, guidance, or information to other engineering and design disciplines, and supporting the commissioning and startup of the plant.
The Process Safety Engineer will possess the skills to lead Inherently Safer Design (ISD) reviews, Preliminary and Design Hazard Reviews, Quantitative risk analysis (QRA), Consequence Analysis, Loss Prevention, Safety instrumented system analysis, Management of change, Process safety management, Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR) and Compliance Audits.
- Lead and/or facilitate Process Hazard Reviews for projects to ensure adequate existing safeguards and recommend additional safeguards as required to meet safety targets.
- Conduct specialized risk studies, including quantified risk analysis in conjunction with the global team for company risk assessment or regulatory requirements.
- Develop and conduct global process safety standards, tools, programs, training courses, and work process. Identify and implement continuous improvement efforts for improved process safety performance.
- Deliver life safety or loss prevention design including Fire Protection philosophy/basis of design, review of fire and gas detection systems, review of fire water system design.
- Provide process safety support and recommend optimal solutions to the region's engineering, operating and commercial teams in execution of process safety requirements and to ensure compliance with standards and policies.
- Assist in interpretation of national and local Process Safety/Fire Prevention Regulatory/Code requirements for the region where the plant will be installed and provide guidance to the project team. Assist in assessment or review for regulatory and permitting process.
- Support Site Vulnerability Assessment for projects, Root Cause Analysis and Accident Investigation (as requested) for incidents.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Significant work experience in Gas, Petrochemicals, Chemical or related industries in fire protection, loss prevention, process safety or plant engineering.
- Experience in the area of Fire Protection is critical to this role.
- Experience and understanding of process engineering deliverables such as P&ID's, safety relief demand scenarios, and basic function of unit operations is required.
- Experience in safety monitoring equipment, instrumentation, process control and HVAC.
- Working knowledge of PHA software (PHAWorks, PHAPro), PHAST are required.
- Good leadership skills, good engineering problem-solving skills, good interpersonal and communication skills, and passion about the job mission.
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.