Solution Architect - Infrastructure
This role plays a leading part in a project to upgrade our Oracle and RHEL estate, plus targeted server hardware upgrades.
This will involve undertaking upfront analysis with the project's discovery team, followed by the creation of a series of reusable remediation patterns which can be applied across different use cases. It is expected that these patterns will consider the investment profile, an application-centric view, a data centre centric view, tactical and strategic approaches, repeatability, and dependency resolution.
Candidates should have experience of:
* Migrating from Oracle 10.2x upwards
* Migrating to 19c and Oracle cloud
* Upgrades to RHEL 7
* Understanding dataflows and interdependencies between applications
* Load balancer configuration, deployment, and upgrades
* Server hardware upgrades and tactical remediation
* Migrating to Cloud services
* Risk mitigation by logical and physical separation
This is a large project with a broad scope, so a proven track record of delivery is essential. Previous transformational experience, a good knowledge of the Utilities sector and a track record of Infrastructure Architecture elements are essential.
The role will require excellent stakeholder management, vendor management, lifecycle management, understanding of technical interdependencies, plus analytical and technical skills. Also, by collaborating with the project management team, Solution Architects mitigate the risks of product misalignment with stakeholder requirements and ensure that the solution fits the defined purpose.
Candidates will require a minimum of five years of relevant (or equivalent) of hands-on Solution or Infrastructure Architecture design and implementation experience.
The ability to manage detail, communicate well, negotiate effectively and be highly organised are essential skills for this role. There is a requirement to understand the As-Is and be able to provide a clear vision of the To-Be through clear written, presentation and verbal communication.
The role will report into Solution Architecture, but day-to-day work assignments will be the responsibility of the Group IT Senior Business Partner.
* Delivers high-level solution models and solution architectures in line with business requirements, organisation and industry standards
* Ensures compliance of all high-level solution models and solution architectures to the Target Architecture, roadmaps, architecture principles and standards
* Assesses the impact of business change requests on the existing architecture and support the prioritisation of these changes
* Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring adherence to Architecture and Design standards and the Target Architecture
* Works with the project stakeholders to understand the business requirements so that recommended solution options provide the best fit against requirements and budget
* Creates solution options and solution architectures, ensuring any deviations to the standards are handled through the Architecture Governance process
* Be accountable for the viability of proposed solutions and provides direction, advice and guidance on the appropriate approach to the solution throughout the project
* Performs the design authority role on projects ensuring that the detailed designs and solutions delivered align to the solution architecture, managing and resolving any design issues as they arise
* Manages activities that take place during solution ideation, solution design, and solution implementation.
* Communicates the architecture to the stakeholders and collaborates and coordinates with existing Infrastructure Architects in the formalization and adoption of IT standards and procedures.
* Champions a structured approach to business application solutions.
* Assures solutions not only are a fit for the specific purpose but also closely align with the standards guidelines of technology solutions.
* Influences changes to standards when necessary.
* Assists Infrastructure Architecture team on solutions management and timing of financial spend for application solutions.
* Supports the architectural aspects of all application projects in peer IT portfolios.
* Directs the identification and recommendation of appropriate solutions, upgrades, replacements, or decommissioning options incorporating business and technology productivity, usability, and ownership.
* Develops and executes solutions which further reduce the percentage of time spent on reactive work.
* Provides analysis of security protection technologies as necessary.
Technical skillset and Experience:
High level of proficiency with general toolsets including Excel (Power Queries, Pivot), Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Teams
Skills and Experience:
* Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new or existing technologies
* Strong communication skills, capable of explaining complex technical problems in a simple, structured and compelling way to business stakeholders
* Analytical and problem-solving skills
* Ability to work under indirect supervision
* Broad understanding of information technology topics
* Effective interpersonal skills and collaborative management style to include teamwork and team building ability
* Comfortable with ambiguity and time spent outside of comfort zone acquiring new skills
* Flexible in a fast-paced dynamic environment with shifting roles and responsibilities
* Technically creative and open-minded
ersg are an equal opportunities employer; we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all job applicants. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or religious background; all decisions are based on merit.